Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Could your deodorant make you fatter or even kill you?

Let's take a break from talking about food. This blog is about weight loss and health, and food is our best medicine. But there are lifestyle issues other than what we eat that impact us--especially those of us with illnesses like cancer, diabetes, underactive thyroid, etc.

This post is about one of those issues: deodorants. I have read so many different opinions on the safety of deodorants and what it is exactly that deodorants will do to you. Everybody has a different opinion on which ingredient is not good for you, or whether anti-perspirants are even worse than deodorant. Just google it: ARE DEODORANTS BAD FOR YOU. You'll see what I mean.

But the bottom line is: nobody wants to stink. So we all ignore the fact that deodorants and anti-perspirants may or may not be bad for us.

I tried to give up deodorant just in case it really could disrupt my hormones and make me fatter, or give me breast cancer. I have tried every natural deodorant option in every health food store, and maybe it's my French ancestry, but nothing's going to stop me from stinking but those darned chemicals in deodorant.

Or so I thought.

We're all hearing so much about coconut oil (by the way that's a coconut in the wild with its green outer shell pictured above). Coconut oil is good for everything--apparently. I'll write a post later on about coconut oil and tell you the things I've learned about it. What I like, what I don't. But one thing I know is true about coconut oil is that it is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. Since it's the bacteria that develops under your arms that makes you stink, it stands to reason that coconut oil is a good, healthy base for a natural deodorant. I tried rubbing some under my arms (and this was the best coconut oil money can buy that was given to me) and 30 minutes later I stunk.

Then I started researching (and trying) different recipes for deodorants made with coconut oil. I even bought a $6 bottle of healthy roll-on coconut-based deodorant from the fancy company the fancy coconut oil came from. That didn't work either.

Then I tried mixing some extra virgin cold-pressed unrefined coconut oil from that fancy company with baking soda and a few drops of nag champa oil and tea tree oil and a bit of epsom salt, and some GMO-free organic cornstarch, swirled it all together in a little bowl and let it set. Then I put a little on my fingertips and rubbed it under each arm...

And I'm still waiting to smell anything.  I am officially odorless. Better even than with deodorant.

I already got endometrial cancer and lost all my female organs, and my risk factors that caused me to get that cancer make it likely I'll develop breast cancer. I can't play with chemicals that cause breast cancer. So whether deodorant really is bad for me or not, I'm not chancing it. My little bowl of deodorant works just fine for me and it's a lot cheaper than those expensive bottles of "good" deodorant, and it smells so natural. You can use any essential oil in place of the Nag Champa I used. Patchouli, lavender, sandalwood...just make sure it's an oil you're supposed to put on your skin and that you want to absorb into your body. I'm going to get some frankincense and try that. It's supposed to be anti-inflammatory, but I've never smelled it. That would be a great way to absorb it a beneficial essential oil.

If you want to try to make my homemade deodorant, leave a comment with your email address. I moderate all the comments, so it won't appear on the blog, and no one but me will ever see your comment.or get your email address. I never allow comments that contain personal information to appear on the blog. I want your email address because I am putting together a special informational packet making your own deodorants and soaps (like dishwashing liquid), and I will send it to you. It's too long, with lots of links, and I don't want it to take up space on my blog. My posts are already long enough. I'm still writing it, but I will send it to you as soon as it's done.

Using this concoction for deodorant is really alot easier than I thought it would be, and I'm so glad I finally made the switch. I wish I'd done it 40 years ago. I wish I'd known 40 years ago a lot of what I've learned in these past two years. Sometimes it takes almost dying to get something done.

No comments:

Post a Comment